Australia 462 Visa - Everything You Need To Know Before Applying
What is GAFFL?

GAFFL connects solo travelers with similar itineraries to explore destinations together. Whether you are backpacking in Asia, road tripping in Australia, or exploring national parks in the US, simply type the destination you are traveling to, find travelers who are going there at the same time as you, connect with them, plan trips, meet, and travel together.

19th Jun | 6 min read

Table of Contents

    What Is A 462 Visa?

    The 462 visa in Australia is a subclass of the working holiday visa. This particular subclass is also known as the work and holiday visa. The work and holiday visa is a residence permit that lets you be employed in Australia as a way of funding your travels. This is the best visa for anyone backpacking in Australia because you're eligible to stay in the country for 12 months from the date your working holiday visa is granted. You will be able to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want within that period. You can also extend your 462 visa under certain conditions.

    Working holiday visa applicants in Australia will either fall under subclass 462 or a subclass 417 visa, which is simply known as the working holiday visa. The subclass you apply for is dependent on the country you are from.

    In this post, we’ll discuss the requirements for subclass 462 visa applicants.

    Join The GAFFL Newsletter

    Join our subscriber list to receive the best tips on solo travel, helpful travel guides, inspirational travel stories, and more. You can unsubscribe anytime with just one click.


    The Difference Between A Subclass 462 Visa And A Subclass 417 Visa

    The difference between these two subclasses is that a work and holiday visa (subclass 462) has a cap on how many are granted per year while a 417 visa has no cap. The 462 visa also has additional educational and language requirements that the 417 visa doesn’t. In some cases, you may also need a letter of support to apply for a 462 visa.

    Countries That Are Eligible For A 462 Visa

    To apply under this subclass you must be a citizen and valid passport holder from one of the following countries:

    - Argentina

    - Austria

    - Chile

    - China

    - Czech Republic

    - Hungary

    - Indonesia

    - Israel

    - Luxembourg

    - Malaysia

    - Peru

    - Poland

    - Portugal

    - San Marino

    - Singapore

    - Slovak Republic

    - Slovenia

    - Spain

    - Thailand

    - Turkey

    - Uruguay

    - United States

    - Vietnam

    Age Requirements

    You need to be between the ages of 18-30 years to be eligible to apply.

    Character Requirements

    You can’t have a substantial criminal record and you may have to provide supporting character documents to prove this. In some cases, an overseas police certificate is required from every country, including your home country, where you have spent more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

    Financial Requirements

    You may need to show sufficient funds in your bank account that proves that you can support yourself during the first part of your stay in Australia and that you have enough money for a return ticket home. Proof of this to immigration officials can include a certified copy of your bank statement, and an air ticket out of Australia. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) regards a sufficient amount as AUD 5000, however, this amount can vary depending on the nature of your travel.

    Health Requirements

    You’ll need to meet certain health criteria and in some cases undergo a Medical Examination. You can find more information about the health criteria here.

    Educational Requirements

    You must have a tertiary qualification or have completed 2 years of undergraduate university study if you are from Argentina, Austria, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Uruguay, and Vietnam. Acceptable tertiary qualifications include degrees, graduate certificates, and diplomas. 

    Citizens of Chile must have a tertiary qualification or have completed or been approved to do a 3rd year of undergraduate university study. Along with degrees, graduate certificates, and diplomas, tertiary qualifications for Chileans also includes Certificate III or IV level qualifications.

    Citizens of Israel must hold a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education and have either completed military service or be legally exempt from military service.

    If you are from Thailand, you must either have a diploma or a degree.

    If you are from the United States, you must have a Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or equivalent.

    English Language Requirements

    You will need to have functional English skills to obtain a work and holiday visa. 

    Functional English skills are met if you have a valid passport issued by the UK, Canada, USA, New Zealand, or Ireland. Additionally, if you have completed a relevant and approved English language course, you can qualify as having functional English.

    Letter Of Support

    You must have a letter of support from your government if you are from Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, and Vietnam.

    If you are from Malaysia you must provide a Malaysian Good Conduct Certificate. 

    Citizens from the Czech Republic must provide a letter of introduction from their tertiary education institution.

    How To Apply For A Second & Third Year Visa

    You can qualify for a second & third-year visa after working for a minimum of 88 days doing specified work. Specified work is any work in a specified industry in a designated regional area. For subclass 462 working holiday Makers, specified work includes plant & animal cultivation in Northern Australia and other specified regions, fishing & pearling, farming & feeling, and travel & tourism exclusively in Northern Australia. You can find more information on what specific work you can do to apply for a second work and holiday visa (subclass 462) here.

    How To Calculate 88 Days

    To meet the 88-day requirement you don’t actually have to work a full 88 days, rather, you will need to work for the same amount of time that a full-time employee would normally work in a 3 month period. For example, you can work 5 days a week for a continuous period of 3 months to meet the minimum requirement to be eligible for a second-year visa. Alternatively, you can also mix up part-time and full-time work as long as you and your employer can prove that you worked an equivalent of full-time hours for 3 months. Be sure to read our in-depth guide for a more detailed look into calculating 88 days of work.

    How To Apply

    To apply for a work and holiday Visa (subclass 462) click here.

    You will need to create an ImmiAccount. Once you do and you log in, you can fill out and submit your application. The 462 visa costs AUD 450. According to the Department of Home Affairs, 90% of subclass 462 applications take 55 days to process.

    Acceptance Rate

    As of December 2018, there were 145,479 working holiday visa holders under both subclasses (462 & 417) in Australia with 115,547 new applications being approved in the 6 month period leading up to December 2018. There is an acceptance rate of almost 99% for first-time visa applicants.

    Important Things To Note After Entering Australia

    Here are some other important things to consider once you have entered the country.

    You Will Need A TFN

    Once you are in Australia you will need a Tax File Number to start working. Apply for one here.

    You Cannot Stay With One Employer For More Than 6 Months

    Working at the same place for more than 6 months without prior written permission from the Secretary is prohibited. However, you can work for the same employer for more than 6 months if you’ll be working in a different location. Additionally, plant & animal cultivation workers and certain industries in Northern Australia are exempt from the 6-month rule. 

    You Will Need To File A Tax Return

    If your taxable income is over AUD 37,000 for the year, then you will need to file an income tax return. You can learn more about that here.

    Collect Your Superannuation

    If your monthly wages are over AUD 450, your employer must contribute an amount equal to 9% of your wage into a superannuation account. As a working holiday visa holder, you should be aware of these contributions. Ask your employer to view your superannuation account. You will be able to access these funds upon leaving the country. 

    Join The GAFFL Newsletter

    Join our subscriber list to receive the best tips on solo travel, helpful travel guides, inspirational travel stories, and more. You can unsubscribe anytime with just one click.