Australia 417 Visa - Everything You Need To Know Before Applying
What is GAFFL?

GAFFL connects solo travelers with similar itineraries to explore destinations together. Whether you are backpacking in Asia, road tripping in Australia, or exploring national parks in the US, simply type the destination you are traveling to, find travelers who are going there at the same time as you, connect with them, plan trips, meet, and travel together.

22nd Apr | 4 min read

Table of Contents

    What Is A 417 Visa?

    The 417 visa in Australia is a subclass of the working holiday visa, a residence permit that lets you work in the country as a way of funding your travels. This is the best visa for anyone backpacking in Australia because you're eligible to stay in the country for 12 months from the date your working holiday visa is granted. You will be able to leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want within that period. You can also extend your visa under certain conditions.

    For working holiday visa applicants in Australia, you need to either apply for the subclass 417 visa or a subclass 462 visa which is known as a work and holiday visa. The subclass you apply for is dependent on the country you are from.

    In this post, we’ll discuss the requirements for subclass 417 visa applicants.

    Join The GAFFL Newsletter

    Join our subscriber list to receive the best tips on solo travel, helpful travel guides, inspirational travel stories, and more. You can unsubscribe anytime with just one click.


    The Difference Between A Subclass 417 Visa And A Subclass 462 Visa

    The main difference between the two visas is that the 417 visa has no cap on how many are granted per year, but the work and holiday visa (subclass 462) does. The 462 visa also has additional educational and language requirements that the 417 visa doesn’t. 

    Countries That Are Eligible For A 417 Visa

    You have to be a citizen and a valid passport holder (with at least one year left until renewal) from one of the following countries to apply for a working holiday visa (subclass 417) in Australia:

    - United Kingdom

    - Canada

    - Netherlands

    - Ireland

    - Sweden

    - Denmark

    - Norway

    - Finland

    - Japan

    - Germany

    - Italy

    - France

    - Malta

    - South Korea

    - Hong Kong

    - Taiwan

    - Belgium

    - Estonia

    - Cyprus

    Age Requirements

    You need to be between the ages of 18-30 years (35 if you are a Canadian or Irish citizen) to apply.

    Character Requirements

    You can’t have a substantial criminal record and you may have to provide supporting character documents to prove this. In some cases, an overseas police certificate is required from every country, including your home country, where you have spent more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

    Financial Requirements

    You may need to show sufficient funds in your bank account that proves that you can support yourself during the first part of your stay in Australia and that you have enough money for a return ticket home. Proof of this to immigration officials can include a certified copy of your bank statement, and an air ticket out of Australia. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) regards a sufficient amount as AUD 5000, however, this amount can vary depending on the nature of your travel.

    Health Requirements

    You’ll need to meet certain health criteria and in some cases undergo a Medical Examination. You can find more information about the health criteria here.

    How To Apply For A Second & Third Year Visa

    You can qualify for a second & third-year visa after working for a minimum of 88 days doing specified work. Specified work is any work in a specified industry in a designated regional area. For working holiday visa (subclass 417) holders, specified fields include plant & animal cultivation, fishing & pearling, tree farming & felling, mining, and construction. You can find more information on what specific work you can do to apply for a second working holiday visa (subclass 417) here.

    How To Calculate 88 Days

    To meet the 88-day requirement you don’t actually have to work a full 88 days, rather, you will need to work for the same amount of time that a full-time employee would normally work in a 3 month period. Make sure to read our in-depth guide for a more detailed look into calculating 88 days of work.

    How To Apply

    To apply for a working holiday visa (subclass 417) click here

    You will need to create an ImmiAccount. Once you do and you log in, you can fill out and submit your application. The 417 visa costs AUD 450. According to the Department of Home Affairs, 90% of subclass 417 applications take 77 days to process.

    Acceptance Rate

    As of December 2018, there were 145,479 working holiday visa holders under both subclasses (417 & 462) in Australia with 115,547 new applications being approved in the 6 month period leading up to December 2018. There is an acceptance rate of almost 99% for first-time visa applicants.

    Important Things To Note After Entering Australia

    Here are some other important things to consider once you have entered the country.

    You Will Need A TFN

    Once you are in Australia you will need a Tax File Number to start working. Apply for one here.

    You Cannot Stay With One Employer For More Than 6 Months

    Working at the same place for more than 6 months without prior written permission from the Secretary is prohibited. However, you can work for the same employer for more than 6 months if you’ll be working in a different location. Additionally, plant & animal cultivation workers and certain industries in Northern Australia are exempt from the 6-month rule. 

    You Will Need To File A Tax Return

    If your taxable income is over AUD 37,000 for the year, then you will need to file an income tax return. You can learn more about that here.

    Collect Your Superannuation

    If your monthly wages are over AUD 450, your employer must contribute an amount equal to 9% of your wage into a superannuation account. As a working holiday visa holder, you should be aware of these contributions. Ask your employer to view your superannuation account. You will be able to access these funds upon leaving the country. 

    Join The GAFFL Newsletter

    Join our subscriber list to receive the best tips on solo travel, helpful travel guides, inspirational travel stories, and more. You can unsubscribe anytime with just one click.